Dan's Devils Food Cake
We use this signature recipe for our sinfully delicious devils food cake layers, sheet cakes and cupcakes.
- 2 ounces Semisweet Baking Chocolate
- 8 fluid ounces (1 Cup) Hot Coffee
- 400 grams White Sugar (2 cups)
- 220 grams All purpose flour (1¾ cups)
- 100 grams Cocoa (1 cup) (Use high fat cocoa, 22%-24% fat)
- 1½ teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces vegetable oil (fluid measure)
- 8 ounces buttermilk (by weight) (1 Cup Buttermilk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Grease 3 8” round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment.
- Add chocolate to coffee to melt; cover 2-3 minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla to coffee.
- Sift dry ingredients into mixer bowl.
- Add all liquids, including eggs to dry ingredients.
- Turn mixer on low and combine until dry is moistened.
- Raise mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, scraping half way through.
- Scrape into pans and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 15 minutes then turn onto a rack to cool. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Yields 48 ounces of batter
If you do not have hot coffee, simply add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee or instant espresso to 1 cup of boiled water.
This is the cake that put us on the map! One taste and you’ll be hooked, a chocolate lover for life! I spent years testing a variety of chocolate cake recipes; butter cakes, chiffon cakes, baking chocolate cakes…. and nothing comes close to this recipe. I like to frost this cake with my favorite buttercream recipe.
I’ve found over the years that baking the batter in 3 pans instead of 2 will result in fluffier layers since the cake has more room to rise. This also saves you the trouble of having to torte (slice) each of two layers in half!